The canton Vaud takes a central position in western Switzerland. Known for its stability and discretion, it also witnesses hospitability and a large open mind to the world. In 1959 Vaud was the first canton of Switzerland to introduce women’s right to vote! The "Plateau of Vaud", the heart of the canton, spreads between the Jura mountain chain and the alpine pyramids, between the lakes of Neuchâtel and Geneva. In summer, the fields of wheat design blond waves between the forest islands on the hill’s summits. In the south, where Vaud slopes into the Lake of Geneva, these waves are made of vineyards: between Lausanne and Montreux, in the Lavaux, prosper the tastiest drops.
The metropolis of Vaud takes a ringside view of the Lake of Geneva; the Romans already appreciated its hillside around the bay. Being an episcopal city for more than 1’000 years – witnessed by the magnificent Gothic cathedral – and having become an important protestant center since the 16th century, Lausanne has since the 19th century developed into a quiet but attractive capital of cultural and political activities. The Swiss federal court is located here as well as a number of famous cultural institutes and museums such as the International Olympic Committee with its very modern museum. Let yourself also be tempted by other places like Montreux and its romantic castle of Chillon, the Roman ruins of Nyon and Avenches, the thermal baths and the lake in Yverdon-les-Bains! Book a guided tour or a one-day excursion with our qualified guides.